[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4700: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3832)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4702: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3832)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4703: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3832)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4704: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3832)
Plant Your Story • View topic - Mothers Day
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:51 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Mothers Day
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:53 am 

My husband is horrible about gifts and I try not to get upset when he doesnt do anything OR does it like last minute either the day before or day of. I mean he tries I guess and he never complains if I buy myself something new so he is good in that sense but there is something about being totally surprised by an amazingly thoughtful gift or even just a really sweet gesture on a special day and I just do not think most men get that...my husband included. He has had his moments I guess but I kinda think that some people just put more thought into gift-giving and he is not one of them. So I do get what you mean and honestly I would just give him some ideas of what you would like to recieve. One thing I got which I absolutely love is . Maybe if you'd like something like that just give him the name of the site and tell him to pick you out something. I think that is a perfect Mother's Day gift :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:25 am 
Lucy

Ohhh that is just beautiful Jessica! I LOVE The Vintage Pearl!! ♥

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:28 am 
I Grow With ♥

I am not really expecting anything for Mother's day. That hasn't traditionally been a big gift giving holiday in our house. Or father's day either. We usually just do dinner out and that's ok. But when we do get gifts we are the kind of people that will just come out and say 'I want ______ for Christmas/Birthday' or whatever. We usually do just one big gift so it's always nicer to get exactly what what we want.

My hubby did surprise me with flowers a couple weeks ago just because so it is nice to see that he has some sentimentality left in his old bones. LOL

I think any hubby that doesn't forget should get props :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:06 am 
I Grow With ♥

Hahaha, I totally get what you mean, Coila! But I'm kinda resigned to the fact that while he loves me dearly, a good gift-giver he is not. So I think of it as me supporting him to be a good husband *snort*

Crystal, maybe you can do three price levels like budget-friendly, moderate, or bust-the-bank. lol. OR ask him to give you a price range and you can make your list from there? (sounds so cold, I know!)

::

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:30 pm 
Storyteller

Lol Lex!

We hardly do gifts for each other anymore. Just for the kids usually. But if we do get gifts for each other we usually say to stay in a certain price range and go from there.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:37 pm 

I have NO SHAME in providing my husband with a wish list (or two) of things that I would love to have. I also love to frequently remind my husband of the upcoming event. I always wanted him to surprise me and spend time picking out something thoughtful and I would be surprised and oh-so-delighted . . . HA . . . never happened. I came to accept this and realized he just needs a little help. So when it's my birthday, I begin weeks ahead of time discussing what I'd love to eat and do and receive. I give lots of ideas so I'm not planning it out and so there is a little bit of surprise. And for Mother's Day, Crystal just gave some ideas for great journals, so I emailed him 4 of those to add to my list.

Now, I don't want y'all getting the idea that my husband is totally clueless. At the beginning of this year, he prayed and made a resolution to make me feel loved and for him that translated into keeping a vase of fresh flowers on my dining room table. When they start wilting, here he comes with another bouquet. So far it's been roses, but I think I'm ready for him to switch it up to other flowers as well, esp. now Spring is here. We're definitely a paycheck-to-paycheck family most of the time, so the little $15 bouquets he's getting from Publix (which are so lovely) still pack a punch in the wallet. It's a sacrifice, in other words, for him to spend that money when he knows that money is tight.

Blah, blah, blah . . . see I ramble.

| |

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:57 am 

My DH is not a gift giver. In fact it's worse than that because he will not get a gift and then will feel guilty the day of that he didn't. So then it's about him.

But I'm not the resentful type. I have everything I need and if I wanted something I could just buy it. So in the end, I figure it all works. out.

Really a list is a beautiful thing Crystal. Then you end up with something you want. I tell my Dad he better tell me what he wants for Christmas or he will end up with something to return, lol.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:13 pm 
Storyteller

Yep, love the list, Crystal:)

My hubby is not a gift giver either. It took my a long time to get used to that, having grown up in a family of girls where gifts AND cards are a huge deal (if you forgot even a card, you felt the shame!). So i make lists too. And tell him about them, and then sometimes he still forgets, and I try to not let it bother me.

But he does do strange things, like last year, I didn't get anything for Mother's Day, but he held a "Memorial Day Weekend Extravaganza" complete with a new watch he bought me (which is hideous!), so it was very sweet. And last night he took me out on a surprise "Easter Dinner Date" to a really nice French restaurant in town. I'm curious to see how Mother's Day turns out this year.

Last year I suggested to him, instead of getting M-day/F-day gifts for each other, maybe we could get a really nice family photo done (he's one of those that doesn't value paying for a photographer because he thinks we can do it ourselves, but of course we never have). That might be a possibility, Crystal??

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:28 am 

I feel the same way Crystal...last year I told my hubby about a necklace, so he said "ok, well go ahead and buy it then"...so not romantic!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:47 am 
Storyteller

We celebrate Mothersday the 8th of may here in the Netherlands and I know they will give me something they made themselves, I love to see what they will come up this year hehe